2010-08-20

Lectio Divina: Mark 9:30-37

One of the practices at SJV is that each Monday we have the gospel for the coming Sunday proclaimed to us, and we then have 30-45 minutes of lectio with it. In this series of posts I'll be including portions of my lectio.

This the text, from the Douay-Rheims translation:

And departing from thence, they passed through Galilee, and he would not that any man should know it. And he taught his disciples, and said to them: The Son of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise again the third day. But they understood not the word, and they were afraid to ask him. And they came to Capharnaum. And when they were in the house, he asked them: What did you treat of in the way? But they held their peace, for in the way they had disputed among themselves, which of them should be the greatest. And sitting down, he called the twelve, and saith to them: If any man desire to be first, he shall be the last of all, and the minister of all. And taking a child, he set him in the midst of them. Whom when he had embraced, he saith to them: Whosoever shall receive one such child as this in my name, receiveth me. And whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me.

What struck me about this was the line "he asked them: What did you treat of in the way?" He's God, he knew what they were talking about. So why ask? He wants us to come to him with our issues, even though he already knows them.

No comments:

Post a Comment