2010-08-20

Lectio Divina: Mk 10:35-45

And James and John the sons of Zebedee, come to him, saying: Master, we desire that whatsoever we shall ask, thou wouldst do it for us. But he said to them: What would you that I should do for you? And they said: Grant to us, that we may sit, one on thy right hand, and the other on thy left hand, in thy glory. And Jesus said to them: You know not what you ask. Can you drink of the chalice that I drink of: or be baptized with the baptism wherewith I am baptized? But they said to him: We can. And Jesus saith to them: You shall indeed drink of the chalice that I drink of: and with the baptism wherewith I am baptized, you shall be baptized. But to sit on my right hand, or on my left, is not mine to give to you, but to them for whom it is prepared. And the ten hearing it, began to be much displeased at James and John. But Jesus calling them, saith to them: You know that they who seem to rule over the Gentiles, lord it over them: and their princes have power over them. But it is not so among you: but whosoever will be greater, shall be your minister. And whosoever will be first among you, shall be the servant of all. For the Son of man also is not come to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a redemption for many.


James and John show us we need to purify our intentions--don't be a glory hog, or seek accolade. I need to be doing what I'm doing because Jesus wants me to be here, not anybody else.
In this episode they show that they are very impulsive, and jump into things they can't yet handle. How do I develop a constant will? a continuing desire for martyrdom, not one that ebbs and flows? By constant/continual acts of dying to self, so taht that attitude becomes internalized.

Lord Jesus Christ, grant me, your servant, a constant desire to drink deeply of your cup. May this desire in my heart be strengthened by continual, daily acts of death to self. May I serve my brothers in small ways, especially those ways distasteful to me, so that one day I will not recoil should you tell me: "You will indeed drink deeply of my cup." Please grant me humility, which I so sorely lack, that I might truly be your servant. I know I can't be magically made humble, so please provide me humiliating moments, even though I recoil from them even as I pray you for them. Lord Jesus Christ, through all these means, grant me to become like you, who so resolutely embraced the cup of service, the cup of giving your life for the many, despite your natural recoil from this cup of martyrdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment